Monday, June 22, 2015

“I tell our runners to divide the race into thirds. Run the first part with your head, the middle part with your personality, and the last part with your heart.” – Mike Fanelli

The alarm sounded at 5:30am on Saturday morning. Of course, I snoozed it once for good measure. It was a complete disregard of the fact that I had been lying in bed awake for about 15 or 20 minutes already. I never sleep well before races, especially not this one. Slacking off the past two weeks on training, only added to my nerves.

The race didn't start until 8:00am, but it's difficult for me to eat early in the mornings. I've suffered from acid reflux since high school. Early mornings generally leave me feeling knotted in the stomach, and on the verge of heaving. Allowing myself two and a half hours to wake up, get ready for the race, and then eat was part of the plan. 6:00am race packet pickup - a slight chill in the air, but the temps would be rising for the rest of the day.

Getting Ready. Less than 10 minutes to go. Look at how tan I am not.

I arrived at the start around 7:30am. Spent some time stretching, and attempting to calm my nerves. Honestly, it surprised me to be this nervous. It was reassuring to know several friends were going to be on the course with me. One last minute bathroom stop, and Nicole and I crossed the start line with 1,000+ other individuals at 8:00am in Leadville, CO - elevation 10,200 feet.

Only 3700 feet to gain, and 15.5 miles to go. It's the 2015 Leadville Heavy Half.


Knowing I needed to conserve my energy, I dropped my initial running pace from about 9 minutes to 11 minutes. This was pretty easy considering the entire first half of this race was uphill. The next 3 miles were a mix of run/power walk intervals. Mile 4 was a piece of cake...downhill. I busted out my 9 minute pace for that cruiser. It wouldn't be such a cruiser on the way back though.

About mile 5, you come into full view of Mosquito Pass. Having a GPS made the next couple of miles bearable. At one point, the top of the pass seemed much further away than that two miles - my mind saw it as 5 at least. My pace dropped further into the 20s, but you know what...it was a beautiful day. The skies were a little hazy, but after a month and a half of rain, you can't pass up a bluebird day.

All of my training on soggy wet terrain was paying off. I didn't think as much about the snow melt and wet shoes as some other runners. I knew I would make it to the top, and that's all that mattered at the moment. About a half mile from the summit, I passed my climbing partner on her way back down. I remember being really proud of her, and I told everyone around me, "That's my climbing partner. She's a bad ass!"

Around Mile 5, where power walking becomes hiking...just hiking.
I rounded a corner expecting there to be more trail ahead, but it was actually the top. I actually made it to the top. I was tired, and slow, but I was there at the top. Truth be told, I was pretty tempted to hang out up there for a bit, maybe go over and summit that 13er - it was so close. Why not? Well, there was still another 7+ miles left in my race, so I got back to it.

The descent from the summit of Mosquito Pass - 13,185" 

The descent back down the pass is a mixture of running, shuffling, strategic foot placement, dodging other individuals. It was nice to pass other familiar faces on their way up, the Jansens, Heather, Ben (the happiest guy you can meet in the mountains), Elizabeth Jansen (working towards finishing her first full marathon). I finally had to make a stop at an aid station to get pebbles and rocks out of my shoe.

Don't fall down...

One of the volunteers at the station actually took off one shoe, dumped out the debris, and laced it back on while I did the other. Who touches other people's feet, especially if they are sopping wet, and muddy? I'm convinced he must be a podiatrist. Regardless, he wins the "Awesome Volunteer" title for the day.

Looking down past the first aid station at the bottom of the pass. Just got a hi-five from Ben.

I'm on my way again, and I know that fun mile 4 is about to comeback around the corner, and be my last uphill battle for the day. My paced had picked back up, and I was trucking along in the 12s. I wish I could say I ran through the last uphill, but it really was more of a power walk.

Oh! There it is! The last aid station. Only 3 miles left, and it's all downhill. I've got this. I've totally got this. I am finishing this race today. Oh No!!! I don't feel very well. It's ok - just keep going, it will settle itself out. Nope! Nope! This is happening...

There are times that I suffer from delayed altitude sickness. I've heaved myself inside out on the side of two lane highways, the dinosaur lot, and once at a cute little B&B in South Fork. I never really know when it's coming, but the good news is, I feel fine afterwards. Ok, so back to those last three miles. Those last 3 might have felt longer than the last 2 it took to get to the pass.

The trail turned from dirt to pavement, one last left turn, and the finish line was in sight. It still looked so far away, but it was attainable. At 4 hours 10 minutes and 43 seconds after 8:00am, I crossed the finish line (Pace 16:07).

2015 Leadville Heavy Half finish line

I missed my goal pace by 40 seconds, but I finished, and I had fun doing it. Plus, I got to eat fajitas and drink beer at the finish line - after re-hydrating, of course. I watched Ben cross the finish line in time to make his marathon time for the day, and I watched a very special moment as Elizabeth Jansen crossed her first marathon finish line in honor of her brother, Rob.

Oh, and my bad ass climbing partner - she rocked it. She finished way before me, and cheered me on as I crossed the finish. The rest of the day was spent enjoying the sun, picking up some freebies, and spending time with friends.

When you're covered in sweat, and sun burnt, you might as well take a dorky photo.

It was a great way to get ready for summer. Now I'm in full swing for planning 10 days in the mountains. Don't worry Dad, I've decided to buy a SPOT tracker. You'll be able to check in on me whenever you want.

Here's a look at what's coming up in July:

  • 7/3-5 Sangre De Cristos
    • Humboldt/Marble and/or Crestones
  • 7/6-7 Sangres Como or San Juans Matterhorn Creek
    • Option 1: Blanca & Ellingwood traverse
    • Option 2: Wetterhorn/Matterhorn
  • 7/8 San Juans
    • San Louis Peak w/ Nicole
  • 7/9 San Juans Grizzly Gulch
    • Option 1: Sunshine & Redcloud
    • Option 2: 13ers Extravaganza
  • 7/10 Lake City
    • Rest Day w/ Nicole
  • 7/11-12 Big Adventure
    • Option 1: Dallas 
    • Option 2: Sneffles and Via Ferrata 




No comments:

Post a Comment