Friday, June 24, 2016

"And then I realized, adventures are the best way to learn." ~ Anonymous

Around this time a year ago, I was doing last minute plans for a road trip to Wyoming.  We hit the Tetons, Yellowstone, and Wild Iris in one week, with one last stop to try for Dallas Peak outside Telluride.  True to form, I am back at planning.

A team of four leaves Saturday for Pinedale, WY.  We'll make a few last minutes stops to places like the Great Outdoor Gear Shop, and then we'll begin a summit attempt of Gannett Peak.  Gannett is considered the 4th hardest peak in the lower 48.  Our trip will entail 42+ miles, 9,000 feet of elevation gain, glacier travel, and what is rumored to be the worst mosquitos in North America.

Gannett Peak
We'll be in the Wind River for 5-6 days depending on weather (Our route description), without contact with the real world.  We will be carrying a delorme inReach, and my Spot device for tracking and emergency signals.  Regular updates from my spot can be seen on my shared page: Link

Our current summit days are either Tuesday (6/28) or Wednesday (6/29).  This will depend on weather.  We are using mountain forecast to see what it's looking like at 13,000 feet. Link  We'll take two days to hike out, but the fun doesn't stop there.  Erin and I will be hopping into Jinxy Jeep, and forging through the wild west for the following week.

Summit of Humboldt after a CMC overnight at South Colony Upper Lakes (Courtesy of Erin)

Our itinerary includes: Salt Lake City (optional), Boundary Peak, Mt. Thompson (optional), Keough Hot Springs, Mt. Whitney, Mojave or Joshua Tree, the San Francisco Ridge/Mt. Humphrey, Wheeler Peak, and Taos (optional).

You can follow along with us on this adventure from my public SPOT page: Schaetzie's SPOT

Now, I just have to figure out how to keep shedding weight from all my gear.  Packing 3.0 starts tonight. Departure tomorrow morning.

Marty is less than excited about my departure. 




No comments:

Post a Comment